I’ve been getting really good with the Phenom timing plus the mouth open automation to make their diction sound realistically clear when the most of the singers (sans Sheena. But I forgive her) sing at a slower Tempos. But the moment those high energy jams start coming in at high tempos, they turn either into mush mouths or artificial sounding no matter what I do. Even if I reduce the amount of lyrics it’s not always helping. So I’m just seeing if anyone out there has any advice for better diction at high tempos…specifically HXVOK, who is intended for metal and just fast, aggressive music in general
I would try adding a sprinkling of glottal stops to make your vocal more staccato. I think this tends to work better than just trying to separate notes with spaces. Those stops do sometimes need a bit of tweaking in the phoneme editor.
Two ways to do it -
- add an apostrophe immediately before a word, with no space (eg ‘house)
- edit your phonemes directly by adding a cl followed by a space before a syllable phoneme.
Oh wow, ok. Thank you for this reply. And by CL, what do you mean exactly?
The “cl” phoneme is the glottal stop phoneme.
It can be very context dependent. In most cases it can also be used to make a vocal fry at the beginning or end of notes.
There are 2 ways to input it
1: Use an apostrophe at the start of the note’s lyrics
2: Input the “cl” phoneme manually (either manually on the phonemes or using the . in your lyrics to do phoneme only)
Tips 1: In some contexts it makes a vocal fry sound (in some contexts need some work but usually making the pitch line shaky or really low helps a lot. But not all contexts work well)
Tip 2: If you input “.” into your note, you can use phonemes instead of lyrics
Oh my God WHAT??? THIS IS AMAZING
I knew one could have granular control on the phenoms and all…but at this level??? Holy cow!!!
if you ever use the “convert audio to notes” - the “.” syntax is used when it cannot interpret the word and needs to approximate it (i know because my singing is, erm, no so clear many times)…
Well now. I’ve learned so much from my post here! I can’t express my gratitude enough to all of for informing me of this!






